"floating" during a troop

All Non-Members and Pending Members can post here.
Bubonos
BAG Member
Legion id#: 43759
Name: Jeremy Beech

"floating" during a troop

Post by Bubonos »

I haven't seen anywhere the policy on floating during a troop. I have never shared with any of you that I'm very ADD. If you know me you probably figured but my attention span is that of a fly. The repetition of posing as a group for pics for hours on end gets me delirious after a while and I need to move around. I love parades because I'm constantly moving. Now toys for tots is fun because after a while I like to go inside and play with kids and parents and staff. I was just wondering if this is a violation of any rule so I know not to wonder off. I felt in this case it helped remind people to pick that extra toy for us. As a parent I figured once they get a kid or more in a toy store the last thing on their mind was toys for tots, they want to get what they need and get the kid out of the store. Now when a trooper pops up on the aisle they're on, it helps them remember and hopefully encourages them when that trooper is goofing around with them and their kid or kids. I can see where other events requires us to stay in one spot and as a long time wrangler, I know its a pain to chase down a rogue trooper. But if we do this for kids, why not do more than pose for kids? So in many ways I've answered my question but would like a firm answer so I can be the best trooper I can be.
Scout love from the forest moon.
phpBB [media]
VooDoo
BAG Member
Legion id#: 5407
Name: Paul D Marchiafava

Re: "floating" during a troop

Post by VooDoo »

Roaming off isn't the bad thing... Safety is more the key here...When available, you would always want to have a wrangler with you.. And that's for your protection and the public... The only case I could see where roaming off would be bad... Is if we're in an LFL troop, where we are essentially hired to do it.... Other than that, I'd make sure you always have someone watching your 6 :)
Rule The Air...Rule The Night

.......Keep Calm.......
Captain Rex Is Here
Dewka
BAG Member
Legion id#: 4019
Name: David Campbell

Re:

Post by Dewka »

I agree. Theres security in numbers. Also, when at a public event, we never really know how some people may react.
Insert "Garden gnome with red baseball bat and guy in body armor waving a shotgun " myself emory here.
Having simeone with you is the best bet. Ive gone on walkabout myself.
High Altitude Bombardment
Planetary Mass Redistribution
On Time, On Target
Fighter pilots make holovids
Bomber Pilots Make History

IS/TX/TX/TX/TI/TA/TS/RP/IC/IG / DZ

Velker Actual
Regimental Sergeant Major, Tannerman Rifle Regiment, RMMC
David, Louisiana's first Visitor
Balcony Brawler
BAG Member
Legion id#: TR 11107
Name: Steven R.

Re:

Post by Balcony Brawler »

Garden gnome with red baseball bat?
:royalg: The Emperor's Thinking Guard :royalg:

Copilot - The Brawling Shark
Bubonos
BAG Member

Post by Bubonos »

Dewka wrote:I agree. Theres security in numbers. Also, when at a public event, we never really know how some people may react.
Insert "Garden gnome with red baseball bat and guy in body armor waving a shotgun " myself emory here.
Having simeone with you is the best bet. Ive gone on walkabout myself.
I caught the tail end of this convo today and it had me wondering too. Now I figured large events would definitely require a helper or extra trooper if we wondered off. Brec zoo can be a nightmare trying to get to and from the front where we are always stationed and the back where we dress. Its already a five/ten minute walk, then you add hundreds of photo requests when all you were trying to do was go pee. But at stores and shops we really aren't far from each other. I've only done one game and I was still a wrangler and made damn sure I followed any rogue trooper.
phpBB [media]
Dewka
BAG Member

Re:

Post by Dewka »

i had to have someone ground guide me in the Door Gunner today. i just have zero visibility in that and the helmet keeps rocking back so I cant see anything but the top of the persons head in front of me.
On Time, On Target

Velker Actual
Bubonos
BAG Member

Post by Bubonos »

Aside from my peripheral vision, I have good front and down vision. You can sneak up on me but I see even the shortest kids in front of me. The more time I spend in costume the more i develop "spidey senses" but I'm still trying to tune those in. I can't see over my shoulder well at all. How they expect you to drive a speeder bike with that thing on, ill never understand.
phpBB [media]
VADER1
BAG Member
Legion id#: 1190
Name: Gary

Re:

Post by VADER1 »

Jeremy,

Floating at Toys for Tots to encourage donations was a great idea. There are no rules specially stating where you must be for any event except for Mardi Gras parades, we have very strict rules which are in place for trooper and wrangler safety.

That being said you are relatively new to trooping and wrangling in the terms of quantity of events. The more events you do, the more opportunity for you to have a bad experience. Much like driving a car, you can be the best and most careful driver in the world all and all it takes is for 1 clown to ruin your day.

In my almost 8 years of trooping with the 501st Legion at over 200 events I have personally experienced, seen and heard some pretty bad situations locally and throughout the 501st Legion. Thankfully they are few and far between.

The unfortunate issue, more specifically to those of us that wear helmets that cover our face, it dehumanises you. This makes you a character versus a person. And there are idiots out there that will do foolish things to us in costume that they would never do to a person in regular clothes. Ranging from trying to take you blaster or a piece of your costume, knocking or beating on your helmet, to trying to knock you over.

My wife Joyce has been wrangling as long as I have been trooping at almost as many events, and she can tell you many times where she has stopped mischievous people, even at a Children's hospital event. A rule of thumb is to consider the type of event you are attending, and regardless of what we may think is a safe environment.

It is always wiser to have at least a wrangler or another trooper with you if you choose to wander just for the safety factor.
Gary "VADER1" Breaux SL-1190
Bast Alpha Founding Member
501st Legion member since July 21, 2006
SITH MASTER: 125+ Troops as Darth Vader
Droid Hunt Winner:
2009 DragonCon 23
2010 Star Wars Celebration V
2011 All-Con 7
2015 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim
2017 Star Wars Celebration Orlando
Dewka
BAG Member

Re:

Post by Dewka »

i remember one event, condulac, several years ago, Ripar was in his cylon and two twerps kept touching his back to get fingerprints all over it.
i went over and stood by him to help shoo them off.....twerps

thier parents paid for badges for them to attend an event and that is all they could find to do.
On Time, On Target

Velker Actual
DarthPrimus

Post by DarthPrimus »

I still say we should make real force pikes for Our wranglers or royal guard to shock unwanted touching while trooping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk