"floating" during a troop

All Non-Members and Pending Members can post here.
blitz1027
BAG Member
Legion id#: SL-21013
Name: Zadok

Re: Re:

Post by blitz1027 »

Vader1 wrote:Jeremy,

Floating at Toys for Tots to encourage donations was a great idea. There are no rules specially stating where you must be for any event except for Mardi Gras parades, we have very strict rules which are in place for trooper and wrangler safety.

That being said you are relatively new to trooping and wrangling in the terms of quantity of events. The more events you do, the more opportunity for you to have a bad experience. Much like driving a car, you can be the best and most careful driver in the world all and all it takes is for 1 clown to ruin your day.

In my almost 8 years of trooping with the 501st Legion at over 200 events I have personally experienced, seen and heard some pretty bad situations locally and throughout the 501st Legion. Thankfully they are few and far between.

The unfortunate issue, more specifically to those of us that wear helmets that cover our face, it dehumanises you. This makes you a character versus a person. And there are idiots out there that will do foolish things to us in costume that they would never do to a person in regular clothes. Ranging from trying to take you blaster or a piece of your costume, knocking or beating on your helmet, to trying to knock you over.

My wife Joyce has been wrangling as long as I have been trooping at almost as many events, and she can tell you many times where she has stopped mischievous people, even at a Children's hospital event. A rule of thumb is to consider the type of event you are attending, and regardless of what we may think is a safe environment.

It is always wiser to have at least a wrangler or another trooper with you if you choose to wander just for the safety factor.
Well said. One recent incident that springs to mind for me was when I handed my lightsaber to a kid and the first thing he did was run over and smack Vader in the shin with it. I nearly died of a heart attack that day. Fortunately I was able to grab it before he swung it again.
Count Dooku
Kylo Ren
Warrant Officer
Clone Pilot Swoop
Bubonos
BAG Member
Legion id#: 43759
Name: Jeremy Beech

Re: "floating" during a troop

Post by Bubonos »

Thanks Gary that was lots of help. In a case of a parade its easier on me because I'm constantly moving. Its just standing in one spot that wears on me after a few hours. Mainly zoo troops. So far other than a few butt grabs and a few kids pulling my armor off I've had no real mishaps. As a wrangler, I had to ask a few drunk dads to "move along".
Scout love from the forest moon.
phpBB [media]
VADER1
BAG Member
Legion id#: 1190
Name: Gary

Re:

Post by VADER1 »

Thanks guys glad to provide some helpful info.

A key point, if a situation starts to get bad get a wrangler if no wrangler is their to help you, remove your helmet immediately, and look them straight in the eye. You go from being a faceless character to a human being.
Be stern, but professional, (you may be very angry), but restrain from the use of profanity. Feel free to inform them that your costume costs a $1000 or more (insert dollar amount) and that touching you or hitting you is against the law and considered battery.

People see our armor and think it is like football armor and they have no clue the value or the fragile nature of some costumes. The average person thinks our costume is $200 - $300, because the only costume knowledge they had is Party City.

I had one incident at an event when I was in my stormtrooper, where a guy beat on the top of my helmet like it was a football helmet. Yup this really lit my fuse. I immediately removed my helmet and proceeded to professionally but sternly address the incident. The guy was very shocked and surprised, and offered an apology.

I have no real issue with kids, they are generally just fascinated by the costumes and want to check them out. Teens are malicious little beasts, and people consuming alcohol are the ones we need to be extra careful of.
Gary "VADER1" Breaux SL-1190
Bast Alpha Founding Member
501st Legion member since July 21, 2006
SITH MASTER: 125+ Troops as Darth Vader
Droid Hunt Winner:
2009 DragonCon 23
2010 Star Wars Celebration V
2011 All-Con 7
2015 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim
2017 Star Wars Celebration Orlando
VADER1
BAG Member
Legion id#: 1190
Name: Gary

Post by VADER1 »

blitz1027 wrote: Well said. One recent incident that springs to mind for me was when I handed my lightsaber to a kid and the first thing he did was run over and smack Vader in the shin with it. I nearly died of a heart attack that day. Fortunately I was able to grab it before he swung it again.
Thanks Zadok.

I can totally relate. I typically chose only wear my lightsaber hilt on my belt as Vader.

When kids as to see it I tell them there are no Jedi to fight or my batteries are dead (If we have some Jedi trooping with us). :lol:
Gary "VADER1" Breaux SL-1190
Bast Alpha Founding Member
501st Legion member since July 21, 2006
SITH MASTER: 125+ Troops as Darth Vader
Droid Hunt Winner:
2009 DragonCon 23
2010 Star Wars Celebration V
2011 All-Con 7
2015 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim
2017 Star Wars Celebration Orlando
Bubonos
BAG Member

Re:

Post by Bubonos »

Vader1 wrote:I have no real issue with kids, they are generally just fascinated by the costumes and want to check them out. Teens are malicious little beasts, and people consuming alcohol are the ones we need to be extra careful of.
Lol no the kids are great and understand less than adults. The kids are why we do this. I have learned to tell them not to touch playfully like hey now dont mess up the armor or ill turn you over to lord Vader. Stuff like that
phpBB [media]
blitz1027
BAG Member
Legion id#: SL-21013
Name: Zadok

Post by blitz1027 »

Vader1 wrote:
blitz1027 wrote: Well said. One recent incident that springs to mind for me was when I handed my lightsaber to a kid and the first thing he did was run over and smack Vader in the shin with it. I nearly died of a heart attack that day. Fortunately I was able to grab it before he swung it again.
Thanks Zadok.

I can totally relate. I typically chose only wear my lightsaber hilt on my belt as Vader.

When kids as to see it I tell them there are no Jedi to fight or my batteries are dead (If we have some Jedi trooping with us). :lol:
Good idea. I actually carry two sabers with me to most troops. I use them to teach the kids how to duel one on one against me. Most kids are great but the one I mentioned before not so much. It's just something I feel really gets the kids excited.
Count Dooku
Kylo Ren
Warrant Officer
Clone Pilot Swoop
Gilamu
BAG Guard
Legion id#: 2954
Name: Bill Plasse

Re:

Post by Gilamu »

As said above, there's nothing wrong with floating around at most events. I think we all get tired of standing in one spot and posing endlessly - what are action figures without action, after all?

I would say though, if possible, to float with another trooper. Safety in numbers. Albin Johnson, the Founder, has said that the first time he wore his TK alone, he was hassled mercilessly. The next time, a friend suited up with him, and the crowds loved them.

If you do fly solo, make sure to tell a wrangler or a trooper with clear vision (such as ID, IC, RP) so they can keep an eye out for you. It only takes a moment for a kid to make mischief.

However, as Gary said, do not float at parades. You have teenagers, crowds, and people who have been drinking. If you float, we might not get you back :)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Bubonos
BAG Member

Re: "floating" during a troop

Post by Bubonos »

No parades are perfect for my ADD! We are constantly moving. Juno/Jupiter was my first ever event and my favorite of all the annual events. I mentioned before I may help Joyce wrangle that parade. I've wrangled it twice and had so much fun. Plus I'm sure its impossible to see in the dark with a bucket on!
phpBB [media]