Possible New member

This is where potential members can come and introduce themselves
Big Dogg Yoda
BAG Guest
Name: Christopher Garton

Possible New member

Post by Big Dogg Yoda »

Hello all. My name is Chris Garton. I live in Pearl River, La. I have been a star wars fan for 30 plus years. I am intrigued by the idea of costuming and doing events. Unfortunately I don't know where to begin as far as costumes go. I also have no type of sewing or costume making skill, or know anyone close to me who could do the sewing for me.Looking to get ideas for what would be the best thing to do. Should I become a wrangler first? Or just try to get a costume together and then join up? I am a friend of D'on Noakes. Just wanted to introduce myself and throw my name out there. Any help is appreciated...
Reela
BAG CO
Legion id#: 10008
Name: Jeffrey Corbello

Re: Possible New member

Post by Reela »

Hey Chris. Welcome to the boards. We are excited to have you.
Firstly, yes. You should come out and wrangle. It's a great way to get to know the garrison, see what we do and get a better idea of what kind of costume you want.
If you already know what costume you want let us know. We can direct you where to get the info you need.
Don't worry about not having all the skills. When most of us started we didn't either. There are people who would be willing to teach and help you. You can also commission some people to do parts for you.
Jeffrey Corbello - DZ-10008
The Scourge of Tattooine - 350 Troops as a Sand Person....and counting
DarthPrimus

Post by DarthPrimus »

Hey Chris! Really happy you signed up. We have events coming up that if you'd like to come out for you're more than welcome.

We have some really talented members here that can guide you in costume making. Looking forward to having you as a part of the Bast Alpha Garrison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dewka
BAG Member
Legion id#: 4019
Name: David Campbell

Post by Dewka »

hello!
come do some events with us. there are SO Many costume possibilities some of which are largely mail order.

my advice has always been to start simple with a crewman, and add armor and helmets on top of that.
High Altitude Bombardment
Planetary Mass Redistribution
On Time, On Target
Fighter pilots make holovids
Bomber Pilots Make History

IS/TX/TX/TX/TI/TA/TS/RP/IC/IG / DZ

Velker Actual
Regimental Sergeant Major, Tannerman Rifle Regiment, RMMC
David, Louisiana's first Visitor
Bubonos
BAG Member
Legion id#: 43759
Name: Jeremy Beech

Post by Bubonos »

Welcome Chris, seems most have hit all the points but I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and like everyone told me, its not as hard as you think and it's addictive.
I wrangled for a couple years and I think it really gets you familiar with trooping. I definitely recommend wrangling for a while and decide later what costume you really want to do.
Looking forward to trooping with you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
Scout love from the forest moon.
phpBB [media]
Dewka
BAG Member

Post by Dewka »

Jeremy speaks the truth. There were times when he was with me and i was in my Door Gunner and he realized just how blind and deaf i am in that rig.

You can peruse the full library here , but be warned that this is going to take a while because there are just so many approvable costumes to choose from. Starting simple and affordable with a crewman gives you a base to build others on, and theres different colors to choose from, each with different uniforms built on top of that. With a crewman there is no bilding involved, its just mail order, and with our current vendors its generally pretty quick for the soft parts.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL
On Time, On Target

Velker Actual
Big Dogg Yoda
BAG Guest
Name: Christopher Garton

Post by Big Dogg Yoda »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I was a fan the other side and recently defected to the dark side. Don't judge me on my Yoda tattoo when we meet up. I am a noob. What is a crewman outfit? Does anyone have a link as to what visual guide detachment it's in?
Reela
BAG CO
Legion id#: 10008
Name: Jeffrey Corbello

Post by Reela »

Jeffrey Corbello - DZ-10008
The Scourge of Tattooine - 350 Troops as a Sand Person....and counting
VADER1
BAG Member
Legion id#: 1190
Name: Gary

Post by VADER1 »

Welcome Chris,

We are all Star Wars fans, the Yoda tattoo is cool. 8-)

The first question and most important is if there is a certain Star Wars costume you have always wanted to have, TIE Pilot, Stormtrooper, Tusken Raider, Darth Vader, ETC. or do you just want to join the 501st Legion?

As your costume will be is a sizable investment, spend your money on a costume you will love to wear.

As Dewka mentioned and crewman with the standard black jumpsuit is a versatile and affordable starting base that lends itself to several cool costumes, TIE Pilot, Imperial Gunner, and a Naval Trooper.

I can absolutely, agree it is addicting, I still have several costumes I would love to own to troop in.

Again welcome to the forum.
Gary "VADER1" Breaux SL-1190
Bast Alpha Founding Member
501st Legion member since July 21, 2006
SITH MASTER: 125+ Troops as Darth Vader
Droid Hunt Winner:
2009 DragonCon 23
2010 Star Wars Celebration V
2011 All-Con 7
2015 Star Wars Celebration Anaheim
2017 Star Wars Celebration Orlando
Dewka
BAG Member

Post by Dewka »

heh...Gary said several....heh.....

yeah, once you learn to build, you will want to build more...and more ...and more....I help a lot of people build their stuff because its therapeutic for me. I get antsy if I dont build SOMETHING. Ive got to the point where I dont even care what it is anymore, as long as Im working on something, whether its mine or someone elses.

i have been holding monthly work sessions at my house but i wont be holding them until my house gets put back together.
On Time, On Target

Velker Actual